The Housing Benefit scheme is run by local councils on behalf of the Government.

Housing Benefit is a benefit for people on a low income to help them pay their rent. You may qualify for Housing Benefit if you are in receipt of benefits, work part-time or work full-time and are on a low wage.

To get Housing Benefit you must pay rent to the council, a registered social landlord or a private landlord. You can also claim Housing Benefit if you are a joint-tenant, rent a room in a hostel or are a boarder.

You can not usually get Housing Benefit if you:

  • have savings of over ¬£16,000
  • live in the home of a close relative
  • are a full-time student (unless you are disabled, have children or have a partner who is not a student )
  • are an asylum seeker or are sponsored to be in the UK

Housing benefits for private tenants

If you are renting a property or room from a private landlord, Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much Housing Benefit you receive.

It is based on rent levels for the area in which you live and how many people live with you. The Local Housing Allowance rates are set by the Rent Officer Service Wales (part of the Housing Division of the Welsh Assembly Government).This service is totally independent from Monmouthshire County Council.

How much you will get?

Your Housing Benefit will be based on your individual circumstances.

Local Housing Allowance applies to claimants who rent from a private landlord.

It will not apply to you if :

  • you are a housing association tenant
  • you have a tenancy that started before 1989
  • you live in a caravan, mobile home, hostel or house boat
  • the rent officer has decided that a substantial part of your rent is for meals

If you have been getting Housing Benefit since before 7 April 2008, Local Housing Allowance will only apply to you if you change address or have a break in your claim.

Further information is available: